[:en]So many of our lifetime memories are created during the holiday season. Families that are separated by distance traditionally come together for meals, gift giving, reminiscing about the old days while creating new memories.
Because the holidays are so significant in our lives, they are also the most difficult times to navigate emotionally after we’ve lost someone we love. This is particularly true when the loss is recent.
Here are some things to consider to help you approach the holiday season:
- Because the holidays can be stressful, make plans ahead of time to help relieve the strain.
- Make new traditions. You are entering a new phase of your life and new traditions are appropriate and helpful.
- Spend time with those people who are important to you. This may help you create some new traditions.
- Look for ways to help others. Not only is giving in the spirit of the holiday season, it does wonders for our souls.
- Take care of your physical self. It’s cold and flu season, so make time to get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine. Exercise even if it’s for 5-10 minutes at a time. Try to eat healthy and limit your sugar and alcohol consumption. Get plenty of sleep.
- Feel free to express your feelings. Be patient with yourself as you are working through your grief.
- Cherish your memories. They will only grow more precious over time.
One of the ways Forest Lawn assists families in remembering their loved ones is through our annual Candle Lighting Memorial Services. They provide a comfortable opportunity for community members to gather and honor the memory of those they have lost.
You’re invited to attend one of these special and moving services. We’ll sing holiday songs, hear a brief inspirational message, and light a candle in memory of a family member or friend. We’ll also enjoy a warm cup of coffee or tea and cookies at the conclusion.
These Candle Lighting Memorial Services are free and open to the public. Candles will be provided to all participants. The services will be held from 7 to 8 pm on the following dates and locations:
Monday, November 27 – Cathedral City
Tuesday, November 28 – Covina Hills
Monday, December 4 – Hollywood Hills
Tuesday, December 5 – Long Beach
Wednesday, December 6 – Cypress
Monday, December 11 – Glendale
Tuesday, December 12 – Douglass & Zook, Monrovia
For more information, please call us at 1-800-204-3131.[:]